The original Bankes Football Cup (donated by Walter Bankes of Kingston Lacy House) was first contested back in 1889 by Poole Town and Blandford football clubs.
It was then played alternatively between Poole Town, Blandford and Wimborne Town.
Unfortunately the original cup was lost during the First World War but after the war finished, the Competition was restarted.
Its popularity grew and a further three cups were donated by Ralph Bankes (Walter's son) to cope with the increased entries - consequently, this cup competition is a huge part of our local history and should be both remembered and supported by our community.
All the money raised by the Competition is donated to local charities, many of which often get overlooked and therefore is given back to the community.